End of Month – June
This is the first year where overall I’ve generally been very happy with how things are going in the garden. Yes there are problem areas that need addressing, but the general feeling is that I’m pleased wherever I look.
The right border has some successes and others not so… It would seem I’ve lost a few things, so towards the ‘front’ (looking from the kitchen) of the border these gaps are quite noticeable, I have planted a Coreopsis, Scabious and some Verbena Bonariensis to try fill the spaces and I discovered the source of an aphid infestation – the Yarrow. I sprayed it a few times with soapy water and it’s done the job, however it’s well behind in growth because they were sucking the life out of it so I won’t have any blooms from it for a while yet; if ever… So for now the front is looking a bit bare as the Aquilegias and Lupins are coming to the end, however towards the ‘back’ it’s looking much better, probably because I only recently planted it.
The ‘new’ border is looking so packed in… I think it’s a little too busy, so I’ll have to move things around. The feverfew is a very nice surprise, and actually I’m loving it against the Veronica and Geranium. I think I will pull out the Pheasant’s tail grass, it does have some fresh growth but it’s still looking so dead that I think it’s time for it to go and I’ll replace it with something hardier… I have a Stipa waiting to be planted but I’m undecided where exactly I want it to go.
I want to remove the Monkshood, it’s huge this year and it’s completely blocking out the plants behind it including the Aster ‘Lady in Black’ which I can barely see, so it can go onto the upper tier where the Summer house was.
The Cherry border is going over now, I’ve cut back the Geraniums and hope I might get some more late blooms from Phaeum. I’ve been cutting off the seed heads from the Foxgloves to stop them seeding everywhere as next year I want more of a mix with the excelsior colours.