End of Month February 2012
Yet again I’m going to lament about time and how it’s passing much too quickly for me… I just don’t understand where the time is going. One minute it was January and now suddenly we’re coming into March.
Again we’ll start with the front garden and little has changed since GBBD, but there is a notable increase of blooms and even the little Narcissi Tete-a-tetes are coming into bloom now.
(the weird green dots are organic slug pellets)
The border along the path continues to make me smile with the little splashes of colour, which over the coming years should naturalise to some extent and we’ll have a much more impressive show.
A job on my list is to remove the now dead Crocosmia leaves, which until the snow arrived were still providing much needed colour and interest – these definitely do not die, well. I want to thin out the clump into a couple of smaller patches and then plant either Erysimum, Salvia or Veronica amongst them to contrast with the orange blooms. I also need to divide the geraniums in the distance and cut back the Knapweed – the shady patch behind the Rose will house some taller Hellebores too.
The window border is also looking much improved on previous years, and has a similar mix of spring bulbs to the previous border. Work will begin on the two other areas that I never show; mainly because they’re so horrendously bad I don’t want people to see! I’ve some heavy work planned for them which I am hopeful will vastly improve the garden in general.
Moving onto the back garden and the right border… I did a little tidy up a couple of days ago and cut some things back… Just need to get rid of the detritus that’s messing things up! 😉
I’m hopeful that the Pennisetum has survived winter as I can see green at its heart… More work on this border too, as I need things at a mid-level because most plants are quite tall, the border being raised to waist height means that the soil is all you see and the blooms are much higher.
The Buddleja border continues to be a thorn in my side; it looks like the small forget-me-not plants I planted in autumn have all died, except a few down at the bottom of the border so I’ll have to steal some from my parents as they have borders upon borders of them. I’m also planning dry, sun lovers for the top end such as Agapanthus to provide interest at on the lawn side, and then shade lovers at the bottom… However two painted ladyferns I planted last year have gone – although I am hoping they will come back. Otherwise I might just scream because NOTHING seems to want to survive in this area.
I had a day off on Tuesday and tackled this sloping border as it was being invaded by couch grass. I’ve left the odd willowherb though and need to get back out and rip them up. Plans for this area are grasses, Rudbekia, Yarrow and maybe Coneflowers or Helenium. The slope really isn’t easy to get to, so I might keep it as simple as possible with grasses and Rudbekia and then trailing plants such as the Aubrieta.
Once again I’ve left out the upper tier, but looking at the Cherry border we can see a vast improvement; especially since I moved one of the bird feeders to a different feeding station and there’s considerably less bird droppings littering everything.
The Geraniums have had quite a growth spurt in the past week or so and I’m pleasantly surprised at the number of Snowdrops I have in here that I didn’t realise I’d planted so many.
It’s also nice to see the Pulmonaria ‘Sissinghurst white’ and Anemone in bloom now.
Oh yes, and I noticed some new blooms on the Cherry tree! Get ready for the REAL show!