End of Month – March 2014
Who stole March? It’s hard to believe it’s almost April, although given the recent weather I’m surprised it isn’t May!
Btw, you’ll have to excuse some of the images. I’ve just upgraded to CS6 and they seem to have changed the cropping tool preferences so when you crop it also sharpens the image! So a lot of the early ones I cropped are horribly sharpened. I was beginning to wonder if it’s just my eyes or I’m going a little crazy but a quick search on the net proved it’s not just me. So, preferences are sorted and no more overly sharpened photos. Also, they’ve changed the crop tool so it does this crazy moving thing when you crop – it’s hard to describe unless you try it! So I’ve changed it back to the classic way. I’m not keen on the dark grey background either – it’s very hard on the eyes and looks reminiscent of every single sci-fi website out there with black background and neon green type. That’s next on my list to change (if I can). I was always taught at Uni the first rule of design is not to use such hard combinations as a lot of people struggle to read such high contrast (me being one of them). But what do I know, eh?
Rant over, on with having a look at the plants.
The garden is doing well, the main task I want to complete is mowing the grass, but with rain showers and recent hail I think I’ll have to wait for a few dry/warm days. The grass is awfully clumpy and in dire need of raking as moss has had a winter party during the two months of perpetual rain in January and February. I like moss, especially in winter when it produces its tiny little blooms, and it looks gorgeous on rocks/wood. Just it’s getting too much in the lawn now – a little bit is fine.
I’ve managed to floor the Buddlejas in the front and back garden now, so that massive job is out of the way and all I need to do now is a little weeding, cutting the edge of the borders and removing/dividing plants (will be an on-going task for a while yet). I’m trying to decide whether to take my lovely Pennisetum macrourum to my parents’… I want it here, so I can admire it, but they’re still in their pots so I’m loathed to plant them just to remove them later.
At this time of year the right border is always the most interesting, with a nice variety of spring bulbs it often has the most colour and of course is easy to see from the house. Over the past 6 years the Alliums are slowly but, very surely increasing in number. It often looks like I have grass in the lower half of the border, but it is in fact Allium seedlings that will eventually disappear and leave the area very empty of any interest later in the year.
My small patch of Fritillaries on the left are also slowly increasing, although I suspect they will soon be strangled by the Campanula which has suddenly grown rampant. I moved it a few years ago (as seen in one of the photos below on the upper tier with dead Aster stems behind) and there was only a small portion left that I missed. Now, it’s almost half way along the wall. I have another small patch of Fritiallria further to the right, which doesn’t seem to be naturalising as well.
Hellebores are still blooming nicely (waiting for them to finish) before I move them, their removal may leave harsh gaps in the cherry border but I have plans to replace them with other good ground cover, plus the Geraniums around them will quickly cover any gaps (Herb Robert will!).
As with all the other borders, some tidying is needed and of course I need to mow the grass, but otherwise the front garden is looking quite… cute. It must be the large, cheerful Daffodils. I’m trying to decide whether to chop the Stipa again this year or leave it to bulk up a bit more.
I’ve managed to get a few jobs done this week – Monday turned out rather nice considering the forecast was for rain all day. I had the day off to take my car in to get fixed (managed to bump the back a little, whoopsie!). In all I managed some weeding, cutting back and clearing of chopped Willow I cut back a month or so ago.
Next up is spreading the last of the mulch, then I want to buy some more bark chippings and spread them on the tiers.