End of Month – April 2014
I’m not joking now, who stole the past month of my life???
It’s hard to believe we’re into May, and yay I go on Holiday soon! Wish it was Portugal, but a holiday none-the-less.
The front garden is nice and cheerful as you walk through the gate and up to the house, no photos of the window border, but there’s still splashes of colour, but the Daffodils look somewhat messy as they are going over. Red Campion, Brunnera, Pulmonaria and Epimedium add some colour to the border, however.
Changes are afoot in the ‘Aster border’, as I’ve removed the Irises and some Persicaria ready to fix the wood on the tier so I figured it was a good time to move them to my parent’s. I hope the Irises are OK, as their soil is generally very well-draining, and it may not be damp enough for them. I’m thinking, as there are already quite a few grasses in the border, I’d add in more so it can become a ‘low maintenance’ border on one side, with the Flat-topped Aster and Sedums on the other.
Sadly something is eating at my Aquilegia; a large caterpillar judging by the faeces left. I’m yet to catch it because so far it’s allowed only ONE flower to bloom. Not impressed, at all. My small, purple Aquilegia is blooming behind the pink one, but from the angle it’s hidden. (wonder why fat caterpillar isn’t eating the purple one???!)
After years of bemoaning the lack of Forget-me-not seeding in my garden, I now have a nice carpet, and they’re beginning to spread into the right border too. So far they’re almost filling the Buddleja border, with a noticeable gap in the centre (not sure why…)
Sadly, I think I have lost both of my Meconopsis, I’m yet to see any sign of life from either.
I’m still waiting for the Hellebores to finish, but I think the seed heads will be with us for quite a while longer… Perhaps I’ll just remove some of the stems but allow others to set their seed.
Clematis ‘willy’ is finally beginning to look much happier after I moved it a few years ago. It’s put on a lot of growth this season and has more blooms. Admittedly, still only 10, but it’s a massive improvement on the 1 bloom it produced last year! I had been considering flooring it or leaving it for dead. I must be the grim reaper of plants, because whenever I think I’ll get rid of something because it’s not performing (Magnolia Stellata is a classic example) and there they go and prove themselves.
Meanwhile Sorbus Fruticosa is leafing up and I’m wondering whether I should trim some branches to promote it to bush out, as yet it’s not really shrubby, rather twiggy still.